The University Council is the supreme governing body of the University. Council is also responsible for the overall administration of the University and ensuring the due implementation of the objects and functions of the University.
To achieve its mandate the University Council, is therefore,
- Responsible for the direction of the administrative, financial and academic affairs of the University.
- Formulates the general policy of the Public University.
- Gives general guidelines to the administration and academic staff of the University on matters relating to the operations of the University.
- Takes all necessary decisions conducive to the fulfillment of the objects and functions of the University.
Council is composed of the following members:
- A Chairperson of the University Council;
- A Vice-Chairperson of the University Council;
- The Vice-Chancellor of the University;
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
- A representative from the Ministry of Education and Sports;
- A representative from the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development;
- A representative from the Ministry of Labour, Gender and Social Development;
- Two members appointed by the government;
- Two members appointed by the University Council;
- A District Council Representative;
- Two Academic Staff representatives;
- A Senate representative;
- A Senate staff representative;
- An Administrative staff representative;
- A representative of the Support staff;
- Two students’ representatives;
- A representative of the Convocation;
- Two representatives of the persons with disabilities.